Sunday, October 21, 2012

Crockpot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup



Growing up, my mom never cooked in a crockpot. Ever. 
Mom, do you own a crockpot??
I've been told many times that "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" 
when it comes to being like my mama. 
 Because of a busier work schedule this year, I've veered from "the tree" 
and started resorting to my crockpot. a lot! 
Life saver!
(thank you, Tom & Camille for my wonderful crockpot!)

In the original directions, this soup has a lot of fuss and hoop-la and 
stuff you're supposed to do before adding it to the crockpot. 
To me, that defeats the purpose of using a crockpot.
It's already hard enough to crawl
 into the back of my cabinet to lug the thing out....
So I decided to just dump all the ingredients in at once and voila.
Delicious. 

Ingredients: 
3 cans diced tomatoes, with juice (low sodium if possible)
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped onion
1 T dried oregano
1 T chili powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
4 c broth
1 bay leaf
1 c shredded parmesan cheese
2 T butter, optional
2 c skim milk (or fat free half and half)
1/2 cup fresh basil
1 t salt
1 t pepper

Directions: 
Add all ingredients to the crockpot
EXCEPT the fresh basil and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.

Cook on low for 5-7 hours.

Add basil and reserved parmesan for last 30 minutes of cooking time.


enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment