Friday, March 11, 2011

kale is the new spinach

According to Mitch on Modern Family, "kale is the new spinach". That show cracks me up! It does seem like kale has taken its spot as the new "hip vegetable". Well, "hip" or not..it tastes great..and is super healthy. Kale chips. Kale salad. Steamed kale. Kale in soup. Yes, kale in soup. So I got a little over zealous with the whole turning off the heat thing and the making margs thing. I've had to scrape ice off my car a couple more times (hopefully we're finished with that!)...and our heat is back on. (my winter boots are staying in the closet though).  And I made soup again. I'm not complaning. I absolutely love soup.

This soup was so good. A new favorite of mine actually. We are substitutes in a CSA here...a local organic produce co-op... and I get giddy every time I hear that there's a sub spot open. I had lots of white potatoes, which I usually am not sure what to do with, kale, and more from the co-op so this soup was perfect.

Kale, Potato, and White Bean Soup
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
2 T olive oil
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
3-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale, stems and rib removed and leaves chopped
6 cups water
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 can petite diced tomatoes with herbs
about 5 white potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 15 oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2.5 T Italian seasoning
2 T dried parsley
s & p to taste

What to do:
Get vegetables ready...washed, chopped, etc. Rinse and drain beans. Open canned tomatoes.
Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. Cook onion and garlic until soft, 3-5 minutes. Stir in kale and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, beans, Italian seasoning, and parsley. Simmer soup on medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through. Season with s & p to taste.

Enjoy!

p.s. I'm about to go get my sister from the airport!!
p.p.s. I think my cold is almost gone!
p.p.p.s. I get another box of goods from the co-op tomorrow. I'll post pictures. It really is so fun!

happy weekend everyone. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment